Thursday, June 18, 2009

Content Personalization

I just purchased a new computer and started the task of moving information from the old to the new. One of the last things to do was to move my iTunes library over to my new computer.

Sidebar: I was expecting this to be a somewhat torturous task, but I was pleasantly surprised with the simplicity.

As a loaded iTunes, I realized why I am such a fan. It is not that the library is actually pretty good, but rather the manner in which Apple treats me as an individual. The Genius application analyzes my purchase history and presents me with recommendations on songs and artists that I might not have previously discovered. I love it. Sometimes the application misses the mark (especially if my kids have been downloading Miley Cyrus or Demi Lovato), but in general the recommendations are pretty good. Yesterday, I purchased seven new songs.

The use of purchase data and applied analytics has built loyalty with me...their customer. Part of loyalty is because I really do like the service, but perhaps a bigger part is the switching costs they have built. No other service can offer the insight into my tastes and present appealing options than iTunes.

Why shouldn't we do the same with our channel partners and enable them to do it with their customers? We should.

No comments: